- I discuss ‘sliming’ – the technique of hard-coding magic-numbers to make tests pass.
- How can sliming help guide your choice of what test to write next?
- How can sliming be combined with deliberate duplication?
- With micro-refactoring?
- How do you know you’ve slimed too much?
- How and when should you unslime?
- I look at the the word “unit” in Unit Testing to understand why the definition is useful.
- I consider some very important differences between “real” code and “test” code – they are not the same.
XP-Days Kiev using cyber-dojo. You can watch the video of the talk which is now online. In it I code a simple exercise (Print Diamond) using sliming and deliberate duplication with refactoring.